- Apurva Virkud, UIUC (2022 – Present, co-advised with Adam Bates)
- Hadjer Benkraouda, UIUC (2021 – Present)
- Margie Ruffin, UIUC (2020 – Present, co-advised with Kirill Levchenko)
- Zhi Chen, UIUC (2020 – Present)
- Jaron Mink, UIUC (2019 – Present)
- Limin Yang, UIUC (2018 – Present)
- Qingying Hao, UIUC (2018 – Present)
- Steve T.K. Jan, VT (2014 – 2020; on leave in 2015) → TikTok
- Hang Hu, VT (2016 – 2020) → Google
- Nirav Diwan, UIUC (2022 – Present)
- Zhenning Zhang, UIUC (2022 – Present)
- Nicholas Wang, UIUC (2021 – Present)
- Licheng Luo, UIUC (2020 – 2022) → Jump Trading
- Rishabh Chhabra, UIUC (2020 – 2021) → Amazon
- Tianrui Hu, VT (2018 – 2020) → PhD at Northeastern
- Chao Xu, VT (2018 – 2020) → ByteDance
- Jiamin Wang, VT (2018 – 2020) → TSMC Technology
- Peng Peng, VT (2017 – 2019) → Palo Alto Networks
- Xiangwen Wang, VT (2017 – 2019) → Google
- Chun Wang, VT (2016 – 2018) → IBM
- Mutma Adebayo (2022 – Present)
- Sushruth Booma (2022 – Present)
- Zhuofan Jia (2022 – Present)
- Kevin Tu (2021 – Present)
- JT Kirages (2021 – Present)
- Saidivya Ashok, UIUC (2020 – Present) → MS at CMU
- Zhengdai Hu, UIUC (2020 – 2021) → Google
- Nicholas Wang, UIUC (2020 – Present) → MS at UIUC
- Olivia Figueira, Santa Clara University, undergraduate intern (2020 – 2021) → PhD at UC Irvine
- Shihan Lin, Fudan, undergraduate intern (2018 - 2019) → PhD at Duke
- Shinan Liu, UESTC, undergraduate intern (2017 - 2019) → PhD at UChicago
- Luke Quinn, VT (2018 – 2019) → MITRE
- Douglas Bossart, VT (2017 – 2019) → U.S. Army ERDC
- Paul Murley (PhD UIUC)
- Huandong Wang (PhD Tsinghua), co-advised w/ Yong Li
- Faysal Hossain Shezan (PhD UVA)
- Wenbo Guo (PhD PSU)
- Xiaojun Xu (PhD UIUC)
- Jose Rodrigo Sanchez Vicarte (PhD UIUC)
- Shuofei Zhu (PhD PSU)
- Huan Yan (PhD Tsinghua)
- Chen Gao (PhD Tsinghua)
- Zhen Tu (PhD Tsinghua)
- Natã Barbosa (PhD UIUC, 2021) → Facebook
- Mshabab Alrizah (PhD PSU, 2019) → Assistant Professor at Gulf Colleges
- Sazzadur Rahaman (PhD VT, 2020) → Assistant Professor at University of Arizona
- Dongliang Mu (PhD Nanjing Univ., 2020) → Associate Professor at HUST
- Qing Zhang (PhD VT, 2020) → Assistant Professor at SUNY Oswego
- Joseph Messou (undergraduate VT, 2019) → MS at VT
- Alejandro Cuevas (undergraduate PSU, 2019) → PhD at CMU
- Shiliang Tang (PhD UCSB, 2019) → Facebook
- Xinyi Zhang (PhD UCSB, 2019) → Facebook
- Kexiong (Curtis) Zeng (PhD VT, 2018)→ Facebook
- Bolun Wang (PhD UCSB, 2018) → Facebook
- Ke Tian (PhD VT, 2018) → Microsoft
- Rupinder Paul (PhD VT, 2018) → Moody's Analytics
- Fang Liu (PhD VT, 2017) → Palo Alto Networks
- Alex Kedrowitsch (MS VT, 2017)→ Instructor at West Point
- Divya Sambavisan (MS UCSB, 2015)→ Yelp
- Allen Chang (BS/MS UCSB, 2013) → Box
- Manish Mohanlal (MS UCSB, 2012) → Yelp
- Konark Gill (MS UCSB, 2012) → Facebook
- Troy Steinbauer (MS UCSB, 2011) → Zynga
- Megan McQueen (San Marcos High, 2015)→ Undergraduate at Yale
- Emily Pan (Harker School, 2015)→ Undergraduate at Caltech
Q: Why UIUC PhD Program?
UIUC has one of the top computer science programs around the world. You can find more information about the CS department. CS Rankings is another useful website to search for active faculty members in different research areas in computer science.
Q: What are you looking for in prospective students?
I am always looking for students to join my research group. As a PhD student, self-motivation is important --- you are expected to lead one or more projects (e.g., after 1-2 years) and proactively drive the research agenda. I also like students who are energetic and curious, which are critical qualities to identify important research problems and find new solutions. Regarding technical skills, I expect students to be competent programmers. In addition, my research area involves extensive data analytics. I expect students to have basic knowledge of statistcs.
Q: What should I do if I want to work with you?
The best thing to do is to read several of our recent papers, and fill in a short form here to introduce yourself. Please understand that we receive a lot of emails/applications from prospective students, and we may not be able to respond to inquiries that do not exhibit a clear match.
My primary research area is security and privacy in the web and mobile systems. I am also interested in data mining and machine learning. If you are not interested in any of those areas, then I am not the right advisor for you. If you haven't been admitted to UIUC, I suggest you going through the application process first. You can mark my name in your application so that I can easily find your case.
Important Note: for international students, please be sure to take the TOEFL test before applying to the PhD program (speaking >= 24). A TOEFL score is needed even for international students who did their undergraduate/MS studies in the US. The detailed explanation is here (see the "Financial Aid" section).
Q: I am a Masters/Undergraduate student at UIUC, can I join your research projects?
Absolutely! I enjoy working with masters/Undergraduate students who are interested in doing research. If you are already enrolled in UIUC, you can start by filling in a brief form here to tell me about your interests. Another way is to take my class. Students who excel in class and actively participate have the best chance to join my lab to work on real research projects.